I wish you could be a fly on the wall in my house this afternoon…
I’ve talked about the craziness of motherhood, wifehood, and life in general. I embrace the crazy. I welcome the crazy. I’ve also talked about my crazy(but we love her) Grandma B, who now retired, comes into town for a few days on end to visit. Like I said, I welcome crazy.
Whenever she comes into town, more often than not, I am in the kitchen making something for the blog or other side jobs I have. She’s always hovering closely to monitor what I’m doing, questioning the health of it all, and talking about Mcdonalds fish sandwiches.
This day was no different as I tried my best to put together this post about Broccoli Cauliflower Pizza Crust. I was editing, writing, etc. and my girls were sitting doing homework while the baby napped. I’d stop to help my daughter write or read something, or draw a necklace on a princess. Everything totally normal…
But in the typical fashion of someone who lives a crazy life, things increasingly changed. It started with my grandma, whose chair was pulled up close right in front of the TV as she watched The Americans. The volume was loud, and she happily ate a piece of chocolate cake that rested on her lap.
My oldest began to get frustrated because she picked out a 3rd grade reading level book for her Kindergarten homework, and she couldn’t pronounce the word ‘multipurpose’. Then the middle child, who was drawing princesses, started to stress because of the eyebrows she was drawing looked funny. Real issues friends.
All in one instance when this was going down, the baby woke up screaming from her 20 minute nap. I’m not sure if it was The Americans, Princess Eye Brow, or the freaking ‘multipurpose’ word…All I know is in that exact moment, my grandma had a very important question that needed to be answered…
How to rewind the Tv.
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 medium bunch broccoli
- 1 egg
- ¼ c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ⅓ c. mozzarella cheese
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1½ tsp. italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. garlic
- dad of red pepper flakes, optional
- (For Toppings)
- What ever your heart desires.
- Prepare a baking sheet by adding parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut the stems off the cauliflower and broccoli.
- Add them to a food processor and process until fine crumbs appear.
- Add the crumbs to a bowl and microwave for 7-8 minutes, until soft.
- Using a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth, drain out all of the excess liquid. This is important, make sure to drain it all out.
- Next in a bowl mix the veggies with egg, cheese, and seasonings.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Flatten into a pizza, about ¼ inch thick.
- Bake the pizza for about 15-20 minutes, or until it’s golden brown. You don’t want the middle of the pizza to be too soft.
- Then top with your desired toppings, and put it back in the oven to melt and cook your toppings. The time varies on what you have as toppings, but if it’s just sauce and cheese then you can cook it until the cheese melts.
- Once it’s cooked, let it cool 2-3 minutes, cut up, and serve.
All is well now, the pizza was delicious! The Americans is over, the princess has new brows, and mommy is going to read the word multipurpose from now on.
And my grandma now knows how to rewind tv.