(Snapped at sunrise this morning.)
1. It\’s been a week of catching up around here, and just when I thought I had my to-do list checked off and my t\’s dotted and my i\’s crossed (or something like that), I decided to make chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon rolls for a guest that\’s coming to the ranch this weekend. I was so on top of things, I even pre-measured all the ingredients in advance, using various assorted bowls to hold the various quantities of flour and other ingredients.
And I was so on top of things, that the dry ingredients I added to the cookie dough was actually meant to be the last addition of dry ingredients for the cinnamon rolls. So I hope my guest likes salty chocolate chip cookies, because there\’s a tablespoon in there.
So yeah…that\’s the kind of thing that happens when I get all caught up around here.
2. In other news: I\’ve fallen back in like (not love, never love) with the treadmill, and that is because I started doing the whole thing on an incline rather than just walking on a zero grade. I love the whole incline thing! Not only does it make me sweat sooner and decrease the time I have to spend on that horrible, godforsaken household contraption, but it has made my foot pain go away within three days. I won\’t try to speculate on the correlation between incline walking and the diminishment of foot pain caused by plantar fasciitis. But just know that as the daughter of a (now retired) orthopedic surgeon, I definitely know the answer. Even if I don\’t know I know the answer.
3. One other thing related to the treadmill: I have finally discovered Netflix! For the longest time, we weren\’t able to get it because of connection speeds on the ranch. But some kind of magical switch happened overnight, and now Netflix is my new favorite thing. Well, HBO too–just depends on what I want to watch. And I only watch real-life things. I started with Making a Murderer. Then I moved over to HBO for The Jinx. (Have you watched either?) And now I\’m re-watching (Marlboro Man, the kids and I watched it a year or two ago) The Crash Reel.
I know I must have mentioned The Crash Reel when I watched it before, but I have to say that it\’s probably one of my favorite documentaries of all time. It\’s about snowboarder Kevin Pearce, who sustained a career-changing (and life-changing) injury, and I couldn\’t begin to list what is so good about the film. Part of it is watching Kevin\’s meteoric rise in the snowboarding world, seeing not only his accident, but also footage of other devastating adventure sports accidents (hard to watch), and witnessing his eventual acceptance that the life he had pictured for himself wasn\’t going to happen. But more than that, it\’s his beautiful family–his parents, who love him beyond measure and struggle with his wanting to return to the sport that almost killed him. And it\’s his three brothers, who would do anything for him–but especially his brother David, who repeatedly (and very eloquently) pleads with his brother not to take the risk.
Have you ever cried on a treadmill? Because I\’ve been doing it a lot this week.
4. Watch The Crash Reel when you can. I can\’t get it off my mind today.
(Maybe that contributed to the whole cookie dough/cinnamon roll dough mishap…)
5. What are you all doing for the Super Bowl?
6. What are you all eating for the Super Bowl?
7. What are you all eating right now?
8. (I just ate a spoonful of cookie dough. That salt didn\’t bother me!)