I ordered a bathing suit online last week, so…
Lightened up Primavera Pasta it is!
If you’ve never had pasta primavera, it’s basically a pasta dish with cooked, yet crisp, veggies and a nice creamy sauce. Cream as in heavy cream.
I love heavy cream.
My grandmother always had heavy cream in her fridge for her tea, and one time I poured myself a glass thinking it was milk. I remember drinking it thinking it was the best tasting milk I had ever had in my ENTIRE life.
I then proceeded to pour myself another.
Eventually someone told me what I was really doing, but unfortunately it didn’t stop me. I snuck a glass every time I was at her house. And after that I licked my finger and dipped it in her sugar jar.
Oh my gosh, no wonder…nevermind.
This recipe makes a huge amount of pasta, and would be perfect for your weeknight family dinner. (It only takes about 30 minutes total to make!) You could add a nice herbed lemony protein to it and it’s a complete meal! OR, you could do what I did and make it on a sunday so you have a ‘mommy’ lunch ready for you everyday! Because busy mamas don’t always have time for lunch, am I right?
And when that happens, that’s when we start drinking heavy cream and dipping our fingers in the sugar jar. Take my word. Make this pasta, and save your digestive system.
- 2 TB. coconut oil or EVOO
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 head of broccoli, stems removed
- 1 red bell pepper,cut into strips
- 1 TB. coconut oil or EVOO
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, bottoms chopped off
- 1 box bowtie pasta
- ¾ c. chicken broth or veggie broth
- 2 TB. EVOO or butter
- 1½ c. non dairy, unsweetened, regular milk (Like cashew, coconut, soy)
- ½ c. chopped fresh basil
- ½ c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bag frozen peas, 12 oz
- Salt, Pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced and zested
- Bring a pot of water to boil on the stove and cook your pasta until al dente. Do not over cook.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan add your oil and cook your onion and garlic for a few minutes, until translucent.
- Add your carrot and broccoli and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove ingredients from the sauce pan and add to a plate and set aside.
- Next add the peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove and add to the plate and set aside.
- Next add the additional oil and add the zucchini and squash. Cook for 1 minute, then remove and set on the plate.
- Next add your asparagus, toss, and cover. Steam for a few minutes until it has softened a little. Remove and add it to the plate.
- Drain your al dente pasta.
- Next add your broth and butter. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Then add in your milk and fresh basil and cheese. Let it cook for about a minute, then add the frozen peas, pasta and cooked veggies. Toss and season generously with salt and pepper. Then add the lemon juice and zest. Toss and adjust seasonings and extra cheese if desired.
Thank goodness my grandma doesn’t read my blog, otherwise I don’t think she would be too happy…